Horace Mann Lab School in Danger of Closing
The Horace Mann Laboratory School's fate is ambiguous past this academic year, as funding issues may call for the school to close.
The Loring Avenue school accommodates roughly 320 elementary students in grades K-5. In the interim, decreased funds could result in larger classes and cutting "special programs." If the school closed, students would need to be relocated to one of the other six elementary schools in Salem, increasing student-teacher ratios.
The school also serves as a place for Salem State students studying education to complete student teaching requirements of their degree. While there are other lab opportunities in the area, Horace Mann is most conveniently located.
Professor R. Clarke Fowler, Coordinator of Early Childhood Education at Salem State, said, "Horace Mann has been an integral part of the education programs at Salem State for many years now. Salem State's students and faculty benefit greatly from their work with the skilled and dedicated teachers and administrators who work at Horace Mann…. We are lucky to have such a fine school on campus that we can use on a regular basis, and sometimes on short notice, for demonstration lessons, observations, and student teaching placements."
Financial matters at the college could influence the survival of Horace Mann, as Horace Mann is owned and maintained by the college and provided to the school district free of charge. Cuts in state funding impacted the college last year when employees of the school were let go. According to the Salem News, Salem State even contributes to some of the principal's salary.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Salem State Log News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE SALEM STATE LOG NEWS
RECENT THE SALEM STATE LOG CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Lighting for Aging Eyes -- Don't Get Left in the Dark
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge