Horace Mann Lab School in Danger of Closing
The Horace Mann Laboratory School's fate is ambiguous past this academic year, as funding issues may call for the school to close.
The Loring Avenue school accommodates roughly 320 elementary students in grades K-5. In the interim, decreased funds could result in larger classes and cutting "special programs." If the school closed, students would need to be relocated to one of the other six elementary schools in Salem, increasing student-teacher ratios.
The school also serves as a place for Salem State students studying education to complete student teaching requirements of their degree. While there are other lab opportunities in the area, Horace Mann is most conveniently located.
Professor R. Clarke Fowler, Coordinator of Early Childhood Education at Salem State, said, "Horace Mann has been an integral part of the education programs at Salem State for many years now. Salem State's students and faculty benefit greatly from their work with the skilled and dedicated teachers and administrators who work at Horace Mann…. We are lucky to have such a fine school on campus that we can use on a regular basis, and sometimes on short notice, for demonstration lessons, observations, and student teaching placements."
Financial matters at the college could influence the survival of Horace Mann, as Horace Mann is owned and maintained by the college and provided to the school district free of charge. Cuts in state funding impacted the college last year when employees of the school were let go. According to the Salem News, Salem State even contributes to some of the principal's salary.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Salem State Log News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE SALEM STATE LOG NEWS
RECENT THE SALEM STATE LOG CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
- 3 Things to Know Before Ride-Booking a Car
- For Advanced Heart Failure Patients, There Is Hope
- Bringing Chiropractic to the Little League
- Singapore Pastor Kong Hee Maintains Innocence, Gains...
- The Financial Implications of Heart Disease
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel
- Visit Virtual Study Abroad Fair on February 25 to explore study abroad options and win prizes
- Students kill three birds with one stone
- Sodexo Expands Ongoing Commitment to More Humane Supply Chain through its Comprehensive Animal Welfare Policy