State Of Mind: A Word to the Unwise
Recently, a certain website targeting Salem State University was brought to my attention. I'm choosing not to reveal the site because I refuse to give free press to what appears to be a clearly bored individual who has the time to complain but not actually do anything to solve situations.
In saying that, it is relevant enough to speak about since the site is spreading like an infectious disease that needs a vaccine, stat. Before I analyze the anonymously run site, there are some positive parts. The blogger highlights student achievement, but this is overshadowed by the amount of disgusting and humiliating segments such as the "Scavenger Hunt" posted April 9.
On the hunt, points are earned by not only breaking the law but also by performing lewd acts for nothing more than the satisfaction of someone laughing at you while hiding behind a computer screen. Also, there are "auto wins" for people who test positive for AIDS or commit homicide. How ignorant can one person be to even suggest the subject of murder or suffering from a deadly disease should be taken so lightly? So far, just one.
The blogger's insensitivities hardly stopped there. The Police Log noted on March 30th a disturbance occurred in Bowditch Hall, when a drunken male was trying to gain access to a women's room while she was trying to sleep. Wrote the blogger: "Clearly someone here was belligerent to an insane degree and just wanted a little cuddle. Unfortunately for him, his greasy paws were denied entry by the ever faithful locks on the Bowditch Hall doors."
Just wanted to cuddle? Harassment is a very real issue on college campuses and should not be taken as a joke. Suppose the male did find his way in and assault the girl- would a witty remark be necessary then? I think not.
But in no way could the blogger stand against drinking because that would make the person a hypocrite. On March 23, there was a special spring break post about drinking and getting completely "obliterated" with Castillo Rum. Drinking in college? How clichÃ©. Perhaps this person needs a job, or better yet, a reality check.
Not everyone is crazy about the Tumblr site. The segment "Hottie of the Week" has complaints circulating with numerous girls uncomfortable having their pictures and information posted for all to see. Hmmm...trying to exploit students while trying to win them over with your angst and immaturity? It's any wonder there are any followers at all.
Another attack on a particular student is "Tailman," his real protected to avoid any further harassment. Whatever the bloggers intentions are, the consequences of said harassment or what problems will be caused by the site, seems to this person unclear. Maybe that is why it is anonymous, to save their own ass. Well, why not reveal yourself? That's right, you'd have to deal with reality.
Not so long ago, the Log was referenced on the site because of some grammatical errors in the editorial. It was only then I actually heard about the website in question (because I spend endless hours in groups and clubs, improving the campus and community). As a writer, I was surprised the person behind it all remained to be unknown. How cowardly are you! If you want to defend your words, you should slap your name on it. Though, in a response
to the editorial, the blogger was correct about one thing: "Personally, I'm a pretty ignorant person and quite frankly, I'm doing well in life."
Well, ignorance is bliss.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Salem State Log News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE SALEM STATE LOG NEWS
RECENT THE SALEM STATE LOG CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists