Hull’s Ryan Mason who suffered a fractured skull while playing against Chelsea on Sunday is awake and talking to club officials.

Mason underwent emergency surgery at St Mary’s Hospital in London following his injury and will be monitored closely over the next few days.

He has been visited by team-mate Michael Dawson together with Chelsea players John Terry, and the player he clashed heads with, Gary Cahill has also visited.  Chelsea assistant manager Steve Holland also visited and all of them spent time with Mason’s parents.


Learning that Ryan Mason suffered a fractured skull has come as a complete shock to the Hull squad.  They did not learn of the seriousness of the injury until after the game at Stamford Bridge.

The injury occurred when Mason and Cahill contested a high ball and they clashed heads.  Mason was taken to hospital immediately.

Hull City manager Marco Silva asked his squad to try and work as normal this morning when they arrived for training.  Many players, however, have reportedly found this difficult to do in light of the injury sustained by Mason.

Ryan Mason has become a very popular member of the small group of players.  He was Hull City’s most expensive signing costing £13m when he transferred from Tottenham.

Even Silva is finding the situation emotionally stressful according to sources close to the club.

Career in Doubt

Mason’s future is far from certain as at this time it is unknown how long he will be in hospital.  He may never be able to play competitive football again.

There is some hope for Mason as Arsenal’s Petr Cech suffered a depressed fractured skull while playing for Chelsea against Reading in 2006.  He was back in first team action in four months later, wearing a protective cap.

As a goalkeeper, however, he does not have to head the ball.

In a statement, Hull City said, “The Club can confirm that Ryan Mason sustained a skull fracture in our fixture at Chelsea this afternoon.  He was taken to St Mary’s Hospital where he has undergone surgery.

“Ryan is in a stable condition and is expected to remain in hospital for the next few days.  Everyone at the club would like to express their sincere thanks for the excellent and swift care given to Ryan by both the Accident and Emergency department and Neurosurgery Unit at St Mary’s Hospital. A further update will be issued tomorrow (Monday).”